Sunday, January 04, 2009

The Endless White Canvas

Just when we thought there were enough going on around in the family, something else happens. My paternal grandfather passed away yesterday. I'm not really close to him, but he has always been a part of our family. He had been senile for many years, and most of the time, he couldn't recognize me, though sometimes he could recognize other people. Now that he's gone, family gatherings at my grandmother's place will never be the same again. Apparently, either he stopped breathing or his heart stopped yesterday, and they sent him to the hospital. They fought to bring him back and sustain him, but I guess it was his time. Sometimes I guess this is for the best too. He can't survive on his own, and his stroke had paralyzed him for years now. Perhaps the greatest relief is that he is a believer, and that we might meet him up there soon.

Death has always haunted me. I can never imagine what it will be like. Can you? Just imagine. Your physical life as you know it will be gone for all eternity. Eternity is a really really long time. Our lives, if placed on the timeline of eternity, is just like a small pencil dot on an endless white piece of canvas. The canvas never ends, no matter how long you draw the line, or how many pencils you use. That is just the beginning of a never ending time. It is really up to you to decide what happens after you've placed the first dot on that canvas. It is up to you to decide what happens to your soul after your life on this earth ends. Choose wisely, because I repeat again, eternity is a really really long time. Would you rather risk eternity for just a few measly years of your life?

Well, on a slightly lighter note, I'm getting my Civil Defence vocation tomorrow. The best possible scenario is me getting in into the Music and Drama Company in SAF, which is close to impossible. So, the next best thing is me getting a clerical position in the CDHQ, thus allowing me to play in the combo band, which is essentially a rock band. At least I will have more time to practice.

Until next time...

No comments: